Those of you who have been following my blog for more than a year will know that I attended FFL UK last August and wrote about it for weeks. If you haven't seen those posts, here is the first one. Well, FFL US has given me enough material to write for months maybe even a year!
What is Friends for Life (FFL)?
In August 1999, a diabetes Mom on the CWD email list, Laura Billetdeaux, was planning her family holiday in Orlando in June 2000. She sent out an email to her friends on CWD asking if anyone was interested in meeting up there? 550 people from across the US showed up!
That was the first FFL! And FFL 2015 was their 66th conference to date.
Some FFL 2015 Facts.
- There were over 2,000 families, attending FFL 2015! That number, in itself is impressive, but when you consider how many people make up family then it's mind blowing!
- Joe Solowiejczyk, who is coming to Thrive-abetes this October.
- Gary Scheiner, author of "Think like a Pancreas"
- Moira McCarthy, Diabetes Mom, Advocate, Autor of “Raising Teens With Diabetes: A Parent Survival Guide”
- Tom Karlya, Master of Ceremonies and Diabetes Dad blog
- Scott Johnson from Scott's Diabetes
- Kerri Sparling, SixUntilMe
- Ed Damiano, Bionic Pancreas Builder
- Anna Norton, CEO of DiabetesSisters
- Kelly Kunik from Diabetesalicionsess and the #IWishPeopleKnewthatDiabetes hashtag
- Katy (pronounced Katie) Bigfoot Child has Diabetes
- Diabetes Hand Foundation staff; Mike Lawson, Melissa Lee, Emily Cole and Corinna Cornejo
- Sierra Sandison, Miss Idaho 2014 and #showmeyourpump and The Sugar Linings Blog
- Charles Kimble, professional race car driver and is the first licensed driver with diabetes in the history of INDYCAR. http://www.charliekimball.com/biography
- Manny Hernandes from http://www.tudiabetes.org/
to name but a few....
- It is huge. So big, some of the booths have play areas for the kids.
- They have childcare facilities, all ages of children programmes, tween and teen programmes, so that ALL of the grown-ups can fully experience the presentations.
They next FFL that might be of interest to folks is in London - however, this conference is sold out since last March.
But if you were planning your 2016 family holiday in America then why consider making the FFL 2016 conference part of your holiday in July? It's MORE than worth it!
I put together some of my photos from both of the conferences I attended in Orlando if you would like a better taste.
"Diabetes Hands Foundation, through the Diabetes Advocates program, covered the costs of my travel, registration and lodging while at MasterLab through a scholarship. That being said, the views and opinions expressed are my own