I did a post on 19th April 2010 about how it was so hard to find Irish role models in the world of Diabetes. I'm happy to report that this list is growing. I'm not happy that they have diabetes but I'm happy, nay thrilled, that they have been brave enough to stand up and be a role model.
Irish Public Figures who have Type 1 Diabetes.
- Kevin Nolan, Senior County Footballer with Dublin
- Stephen Clancy, professional cyclist from Limerick with Team Type 1
- Mary Banotti, former MEP
- Pat Carey former TD from Kerry
- Catherine Brady, world champion kickboxer
- Kenneth Sweeney, former senior county footballer; Sligo
- plus, the everyday role models whose names we don't know but have been instrumental in setting up an Irish Diabetes Online community. Thank you founders of the Diabetes in Ireland, the Parents of Children & Teens with T1 Diabetes in Ireland, and the Diabetes Ireland facebook pages. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Irish Public Figures who have Type 2 Diabetes.
- Derek Davis
- Gerald Kean
- Karl Spain
- Ian Dempsey